DIABETES Type 2 MELLITUS|Causes,Symptom, Treatment
Diabetes mellitus or type 2 diabetes is also known as an Adult-Onset diabetes.
Diabetes mellitus is a lifelong disease that keeps the body from using insulin the way it should. People with diabetes 2 are said to have insulin resistance.
WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO GET DIABETES MELLITUS?
People who are middle-aged or older are most likely to get diabetes but children or teens who are obese can also get diabetes mellitus.
SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES MELLITUS:
Symptoms of diabetes mellitus can be so mild that you may not notice them:
- Being very thirsty
- Need to pee a lot
- Numbness of fingers and hands
- Being cranky
- Blurred vision
- Yeast infection
- Wounds don’t heal
- Wounds get worse not healing
- Weight loss without any reason
If you have dark rashes around your neck or armpit, see your doctor they are called Acanthosis Nigricans. This means that your body is becoming resistant to insulin.
CAUSE OF DIABETES MELLITUS:
Your pancreas makes a hormone called Insulin to convert Glucose (a type of sugar) from your food into ATP (energy). People with diabetes 2 make insulin, but their cells don’t use them properly.
At first, your pancreas makes more inulin and tries to get glucose inside your cells but eventually, it can’t keep up and the glucose builds up in your blood instead.
Usually, a combination of things causes diabetes 2. They include:
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Too much glucose from the liver
- Bad communication between cells
- Broken beta cells
RISK FACTORS RELATED TO YOUR HEALTH AND MEDICAL HISTORY INCLUDE:
- Hypertension, even if it is treated and is under control
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Low HDL ( “good”) cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Having a baby who weighed more than 9 pounds
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)\
- Smoking ( Can also increase the risk of diabetes)
- Getting little or no exercise
- Sleeping too little or too much
DIABETES MELLITUS DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS:
Your doctor will test your blood glucose level. Usually, they will take 2 days to confirm the diagnosis. If you have a high blood glucose level or have the majority of other symptoms then only one test is all you need for diagnosis.
It is the type of blood glucose test that measures the level of glucose in your blood for the past 2-3 months.
FASTING PLASMA GLUCOSE:
Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) is the type of test which is also called as fasting glucose test. It is usually done in the morning empty stomach. You won’t be able to eat and drink any other thing except water for 8 hours.
ORAL GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST:
It is done after 2 hours of eating something to check how your body handles the sugar.
DIABETES MELLITUS TREATMENT:
- Weight loss
- Healthy eating
- Lifestyle changes
- Keeping a check on sugar levels
- DPP-4 Inhibitors
- GLP-1 Receptor Agonists
- SGLT2 Inhibitors
BUILD YOUR HEALTH CARE TEAM:
- Registered dietitians
- Diabetes educators
- Foot doctors
- Eye doctors
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- DOWN SYNDROME | Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Precautions after C-Section| Recovery Cesarean
- DIABETES Type 2 MELLITUS|Causes,Symptom, Treatment
- Diabetes type 1 Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- CARDIOVASCULAR DISORDERS Symptoms/Risk factors/Treatment